April 8, 2011

Pressure

As the triathlon season begins I have to ask myself am I race ready. My short answer is no, I don't feel like I am. Having said that, I do feel race ready in the swim-bike disciplines. But triathlon is a three sport deal, you have to ready for all three. The main reason I'm not race ready for the run is a lack of consistent off season training. This being due to the fact of having a fractured foot, runners knee during the winter and just small things here and there that would make me miss a day or two of running in order to heal. Its pretty frustrating coming from last season averaging 6 min-miles for a half marathon to now where I'm not capable of that speed. Ideally I wanted to carry my speed and endurance over from the end of last season to this season. So it is frustrating taking a step back like that.

I feel pressure to be at the top of my game right now, especially running. The thing about running is that I just need time. I need time to put in quality miles in order to get my endurance back. I haven't had a 40+ mile week since December. I would like to be running around 50 miles a week within the next month if my body allows me.

I have a half marathon race in 1 week which I feel like anything over 1:20 will be a disappointment for me. I feel like it was a little premature to sign up for a race in which I wasn't ready to RACE. I just have to remember that I've only been back running for a month. I'm going test my endurance out this weekend and assess where I am at as far as half marathon pacing goes. One thing I can guarantee is that I am not tapering for that race. I will more than likely do a 100+ mile bike ride that Saturday before the race on Sunday if the weather is right.

On a brighter note I have improved as a swimmer and cyclist from last year. I've also improved in just all around strength and stability, which in affect has made me a faster triathlete. I've found my perfect position on my new Planet X bike. I really look forward to my Time Trial race in 2 weeks. I think there will be a major difference from my last time trial effort due to the fact my new bike position is more aerodynamic and my race wheels are straight now.

The weather is finally coming around to where I can be consistent with my run-bike training. My main focus right now is the Kinetic Half Ironman in 5 weeks. Last year it was the first time I did a half ironman and wow did I learn a lot from that experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to admit your entire articles appears to be so helpfulas they givegood advices.Wishing u all the best for your upcoming writings and expect them also to help me similar to this.And yes i have digg your site benjaminscottfarrell.blogspot.com .