April 25, 2011

Stacking Mileage

The day after my half marathon I went out for a 4 hr ride with 10 sets at race effort with a short active recovery run afterwards.  I've gotten right back into running after my half marathon.  Low intensity stuff mostly except for some interval sets during an 80 min trail run.  Most high intensity this week was done on the bike.  Although its been a little frustrating always having to power through the ridiculous winds we've been having.  It's consistently 15-25 mph winds out there.  It's a lot of fun coming back going 32+ mph with the winds at my back.  I actually find I can finish a ride with an average pace equal or faster than it would be had there been no wind.

Friday I put in one of my longest swim sets to date as well as tough strength session.  I'll do a hard strength session every couple weeks, usually not on Friday's though.  Man I was really feeling those lunges and squats Saturday on my 30 min run - 4hr ride.  It was even tougher Sunday during a 90 min run - 90 min bike - 30 min run.  But I made it through and am better for it.  It was my first training weekend back in the heat with temps in the high 80s.  I enjoy training in the heat.  Luckily the jungle humidity isn't here just yet.  The ocean is still cold enough (53 degrees) to ice the legs for recovery.  I stay in for around 10-15 minutes.  Its so awesome being able to go from a beautiful trail run straight to the ocean. 

Swimming is going pretty good still.  Because I need to fit in longer run and bike sessions I'm not swimming 4-5 times a week like I was in the winter.  More like 3-4 times/wk. And it's typically a mixed bag of sprint and endurance training.  The main thing for me is to swim first before I run or bike so that I am fresh for swim training and not dragging ass and wasting time in the water.  Thanks to it being light out later in the day now, doing the swim first routine is no problem.  Swimming first definitely makes my runs tougher.  Which is a good thing.  The harder I can make my training the more prepared I will be for my races.

Right now I am just focusing on being ready to kill it at Kinetic Half Ironman in May.  I basically have a a few more days in the "building phase" before I dial the mileage down for some high intensity stuff.  I can feel I am getting a bit run down mentally and physically from about 3 weeks of high mileage training and I am looking forward to shorter faster training sets and longer rest time.

No comments: