June 2, 2011

Semi Vacation Week

Last week my sister visited from New York as she just finished her first year at Columbia grad school.  It was exciting for me since I haven't seen her since Christmas.  I ended up taking half the week off from work.  Most of the time we all (Mom & Sister & Kula) chilled out on the beach all day.  We had great weather, although hot, all week.  The surf was pretty decent as well.  Of coarse I fit in my training during the week. A modified version of it however, but the change of scenery was good.  Instead of pool swims it was choppy ocean swims, surfing, and body surfing.  Instead of trail runs it was runs on the sandy beach and on the open road in Sandbridge.  Cycling was fairly minimal.  I fit in maybe 180 miles over 8 days, not including the bike ride to False Cape State Park.
Mom and Christi at Sandbridge

Me coming in from an ocean swim

Open ocean out at False Cape State Park with not a person in site for miles

After about 15 miles of beach cruisin' thru the Back Bay and False Cape we made it to the ocean.

Back Bay

Tent style. This is how Kula gets by at the hot beach.

Many hours were spent soaking in the surf and sun.


Back to reality.  This week I am back to the normal work-train-eat-sleep schedule. This week is filled with tempo activities.  I had a killer track set on Tuesday I am still sore from 2 days later.  I must of pulled my calf muscle slightly during one of the drills, oh well.  I have a swim set and a 9 mile run with some 10k efforts lined up today.  If my calf doesn't feel good then I'll just scrap the run.  I need to be 100% for Eagleman 70.3 next weekend.  I am a little concerned with my run fitness in this heat.  I haven't put too many race pace efforts in over the past couple weeks since the Kinetic race.  I'm hoping within the next few days before my taper I can find some more leg speed.

To be honest I'm looking forward to getting Eagleman and 5150 DC Tri over with so I can put in another solid training block, which will include multiple trips to the mountains.  However, the result of these races will determine the second half of my race season.

No comments: