August 5, 2011

Training training training

This race season has gone by fast and I've raced less than I have in the past. But here is what I have achieved this year so far.. Qualified for Long Course National Championships, Qualified for Olympic Distance National Championships, Qualified for Ironman 70.3 World Championships, and qualified for Hy-Vee Olympic 5150 series championships.

Over the passed few weeks I've been training training training as the title says.  This is one of my favorite times of the year.  I just love training and not having a race on my mind.  Especially when my fitness is at such a high level right now. 

So it has been HOT, I mean HOTTT.  I must be a glutton for pain or something because I enjoy pushing myself in the heat. It makes the days where its in the 80s feel cool and I can push my body just as hard as I want and not be effected by the heat too much.  A couple weeks ago I did a 90 mile bike when it was 100-110 (100% humidity) out,.  I went through 10-11 16 oz bottles and still came back 3 lbs lighter. That's another nice thing about training in the heat, I can eat pretty much anything I want and add a few cups of soda or beer during the week and not feel guilty.  Also, to those out there training in the heat - take salt tablets; seriously they work wonders. I used to cramp up so bad and feel like shit after a super hard bike in the heat and then I discovered salt tabs.  'Lava Salts' are my choice.

I am at a really good place with my fitness, I sort of wish I had a race coming up to put it to use.  But my next official race will be the Rock N Roll Half Marathon on Labor Day, still a month away.  Although, I am looking for a short race to jump into soon so I can put my fitness to work.

So as far as my training is going... swimming has been going pretty well.  For instance a portion of a swim set - 2x800 at 1:30 per 100 has become a warm up when it used to be a struggle to maintain on 200 meter repeats.  Obviously I am still trying to figure out how to swim faster overall.  It looks like I will pursue a swim coach this off season to give myself a better chance of winning in those major Olympic and 70.3 distance races (anyone know of good swim coaches?).  Cycling has been consistent as usual.  I need to get with Planet X bikes about getting a new front wheel, since my current is not exactly circular (from a crash). And I've been playing with tightening my aerobar position and raising my seat for better aerodynamics and power.  Running has been going great too.  I have finally been able to put multiple weeks of hard consistent running in without nagging injury.  From hill work to track work to long runs to fartlek bricks.  I have been doing 80% of my hill work on the treadmill and it has been amazing.  Running up hills has never been so effortless.  I will typically start out at a 4% grade (keeping speed the same) increasing grade often until I am at my threshold limit.  I wish I had my own treadmill.  The convenience of my own treadmill could be my answer to running a sub 1:18 half marathon off the bike.  The only thing about running so much is my right knee had been getting a bit sore and I have been forced to ice after long runs and track sessions.

I have a week or so more of crushing my legs with cycling and bike-run bricks before I start to gear up for the half marathon.  I am not taking the Rock N Roll half lightly as I really want to be competitive.

Happy training to everyone.  And don't forget to catch one of the most important triathlons this year this weekend with the ITU London WCS taking place on the 2012 Olympic coarse on triathlon.org or universalsports.com, it may determine Team USA.

2 comments:

Chad said...

Ben, do you use electrolytes in addition to the salt tablets?

Unknown said...

During a half ironman race I will use salt tabs in conjunction with an electrolyte drink that is supplied at the race event. But mostly during training I just need the salt tabs + CARBOPRO drink.