March 28, 2012

DD Time Trial #1 Race Report

        I kicked off race season with a 25 mile time trial (cycling only race for those still learning).  The cycling atmosphere is a bit more chill than the triathlon scene.  It was interesting seeing really nice TT bikes that cost close to 10 Gs.  All these guys do is bike, no swimming, no running. The bikes were definitely a little intimidating compared to my Planet X Exocet.  But my results will tell you its all about the human machine not the bike ;).  Due to me not having an official cycling license I had to race CAT 5 (lowest category). It didn't really matter what CAT I raced in however, that is all about gaining points, I'm a triathlete so I don't need those points. 
        I spun on my trainer for about 20 minutes prior to racing. They would start each athlete in 1 minute intervals.  I was very much looking forward to visiting the pain cave for a good 50 minutes and was completely ready to race!! The first half of the race had a slight tail wind, it was a out and back course so the second half was obviously into the wind.  It was weired getting my head around the fact I didn't have to run afterwards, maybe I held back a little to that effect.  I had the course measured at 26 miles, therefore my finish time was 56:20.  That's a 27.7 mph average.  That was without a disc wheel by the way. It ranked 3rd out of the CAT 1-3 overall.  Not bad for a triathlete on a bike half the cost of most.  So what does this result mean for me.. I need to get a cycling license for one :) and also my winter training went well and my bike speed is where I want it to be right now. My time also has opened some other doors...

I race every weekend for about 6 weeks coming up.  I look forward to putting my run and bike speed to the test this coming weekend for a 5k-36k-5k Duathlon.

No comments: