April 17, 2012

Boston Marathon Report and more

First, thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, cards, gifts. And all the support and congrats for me at the Boston Marathon.

I've also picked up a new nutritional energy sponsor.. Honey Stinger!!!
I'm very proud and super stoked to join the Honey Stinger Team this year.
Honey Stinger are based out of Steamboat Springs, Colorado and sponsor one of the greatest athletes to ever live.. Lance Armstrong.
Honey Stinger Gels, Protein Bars, Waffles, Organic Chews taste amazing! You can check out there nutritional data here: http://www.honeystinger.com/ProductInfoPacket.pdf



I received an Electronic Pulse Messager last week. For those that don't know an EPM is know for relieving sore muscles caused by exercise. It uses mild electrical impulses to relieve pain and stimulate muscles. The Electronic Pulse Massager works using Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) therapy (a type of therapy that gently stimulates nerves and blocks pain signals before they are received by the brain.) TENS therapy uses a micro-computer that controls high-frequency stimulation through electrode pads placed close to the muscle area you want to target. This type of therapy helps your muscles to contract, assisting the release of waste products like lactic acid and aiding your body’s normal healing process.


As a triathlete I am continually pushing my muscles to the limit (breaking down muscle). So trying an EPM to quicken the muscle recovery is a logical choice for me. I've only used it a few times, so I cannot be 100% sure of its effectiveness. There is no question it works at stimulating the muscles. It's a strange feeling if you have never used an EPM before because it sends the muscles into a frenzy if put in the right spot. It is not a relaxing feeling by any means. But it is worth a try on sore, tired and tight muscles. I've played around with it for a few minutes so far..  



Boston Marathon Report


The weekend before the marathon I went to the mountains to have some fun training.  I stayed out on my buddys 180 acre farm and got in some great runs and rides.  I enjoyed the serenity, peace and quite out there.  No distractions! It was definitely something I needed! I'm looking forward to summer training out there and honing in my climbing skills... even though the farm house does lack indoor plumbing.
The week leading up to the marathon included a toned down training week. I limited my runs to 50 minutes and bikes to 2 hours and actually only had 3 easy swim days and no bricks.  There was no real taper leading up to the marathon as I planned on training through it more or less. 


I flew out to Boston Saturday and stayed with my aunt and uncle, Katie and Chad.  Lucky for me they were happy to chauffeur me around and feed me good dinners.  I am so thankful for having them there.  We drove the marathon course the next day so I had an idea of what I was in for.  It certainly gave me a new appreciation for how hilly the course is.  The profile does not do it justice.  I started to second guess whether I could do a 2:49 on a course like this right now (in my 5lbs over race weight condition.)  After that we walked around downtown Boston, ate some good food and hit up the marathon expo.  The weather was perfect Sunday and it was cool checking out Boston for the first time.


For once before a race I was able to sleep in due to the late 10am start time of the Boston Marathon.  For pre race meal I had oatmeal with fruit and sipped on a bottle of carbo pro+gatorade.  Knowing that the race day temps would be at record highs of almost 90 I made sure I was very well hydrated prior to running.  I carried 4 energy gels and 10 salt tab electrolytes in my tri top jersey and carried an 8oz bottle of carbo pro+electrolyes.  In my ignorance I thought the salt tabs would stay dry and that I had more than enough nutrition to get me to the finish line, wow was I wrong!


Just starting, all smiles.
After the start gun went off it took about 2.5 miles to finally get through the packs of people and for the race to open up a bit. Being forced to run at a slow pace was super frustrating and almost a joke those first few miles.  Due to the high temperatures I planned on running an average 6:35-6:45 pace and possibly turning it up a notch the last 5 miles if I felt okay.  I did my long training runs on trails at a 6:45 pace comfortably (granted 40s-60s temps) and more than half the time those long runs were a day after 3 hours of cycling in addition to a week of speedwork and tempo rides; It's just typical training. I was confident I could maintain a comfortable run pace like 6:40 in 80 degree weather on hills being semi-fresh and rested. 


I was drenched from the water hoses.
Everything basically went to plan until about mile 15 or 16 when I experienced my first calf cramp.  The biggest mistake I made was allowing my salt tab electrolytes to get wet and disintegrate in my pocket.  I needed to be taking at least 3 salt pills per hour to have a chance at staving off the cramps.  I have big muscles and eating energy gels and stopping at every aid station for water and gatorade doesn't do the job. And I could not believe the med tents did not have electrolyte pills! So I was doing a walk/jog fighting off the leg cramps the last 6-7 miles.  It sucked and was demoralizing walking, but I literally had no choice if I was going to cross the finish line.  I wanted to run so badly especially with all the spectators behind me cheering me on to get running. 


Coming around the final turn to the finish line.
So I crossed the finish line in 3:24 not tired like I had just run a marathon, but more like I jogged for 3 hours and was just extremely dehydrated, my body was one gigantic cramp.  That finish time was 35 minutes over the time I thought I would run Boston in.  After talking with a lot of people who ran the marathon we all had very similar stories.  It sounds like people were 20-40 minutes off their predicted time.  We were all out there suffering and I congratulate everyone who finished especially those who were able to pace themselves correctly in the heat.


Lots of head down walking going on the last 7 miles.
I don't want this report to sound so glum because the marathon itself was amazing.  It was just not my day personally.  I think the true essence of this race are the spectators.  Boston comes out full force in support of the runners.  Some of the highlights I recall was the mile long stretch of girls at Wellesley College screaming and wanting kisses.  The Boston College guys chanting my number to get me running when I was walking off my leg cramps.  The little kids handing out ice pops.  A group of ladies giving me the royal treatment when I pulled over to the side to stretch out my calves.  Katie making a huge sign for me even though I didn't see them during the run.  And the insane crowds of screaming people throughout the course.  Those are the reasons to run Boston and probably why I'll run it again in the near future.
Finished!!


After the race and after I got the cramping under control I met up with my relatives and we went to the original Regina Pizza and then to Mike's Pastry.  I guess you cannot come to Boston and not go there.  I met up with some friends, who also ran the marathon, at the airport and we made our journey home. 

What happens now for me?  I jump right back into training for my first Half Ironman of the year on May 6th.  I think the Boston Marathon was a good wake up call for me, although I don't think it has much reflection on my fitness level at this point, but definitely a wake up call.  I plan on ramping up the intensity the next week and a half to prepare for Charlottesville. I look forward to getting back to the mountains to train again.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Congrats again on the race man. Hot as it was, sounds like you did awesome. Happy late birthday too. You know where you're going to school yet? Where'd you get the EPM?

Coming to Tampa soon?

Unknown said...

I'll probably visit FL in the summer.