June 14, 2012

June Racing & Injury Report

About a week after the Half Ironman in May my right foot started screaming at me that something was wrong.  I went to the doctor and we determined it was extensor tendinitis.  Very annoying pain between the top of the foot and the ankle.   Unfortunately prior to me going to the doctor I continued to train through the pain and I did one track session that really exacerbated the injury. I think it stemmed from running in the Newton racers exclusively as it was putting too much force on my big toe and forefoot.  I took a week off from running at that point.  Then did a couple runs over the next weekend at the farm as I thought the foot was getting better.. it was not.  I took another week off and then went into my next race that weekend.  By that time I probably ran 3-4 times over that entire month.

This race took place in Cambridge, MD (the same location as Eagleman 70.3).  Very similar conditions as to what I train on here in Virginia Beach.. open hot flat windy roads.  I decided to attempt to race the ITU Duathlon Long Course National Championships knowing good and well that I would likely have to pull out.  The goal was to at least get through the first 10k and onto the bike and see how things went from there.  The problem was that I wasn't in the greatest 10k shape after taking so many weeks off from running.  But the biggest problem was that I couldn't push off my forefoot.  I basically ran off my heal, trying to stay away from the pain, to no prevail.  I finished the first 10k in a slow and painful 36.5 minutes.  I really wanted to stop after the first 5k, but also wanted so badly to get onto the bike.  By the time I got onto the bike my foot was in agonizing pain.  I could not put any pressure down onto the pedal.  I had biked my way up to about 3rd position though, but unfortunately had to stop halfway through the 70k course.  There was no reason to push it any further and risk further injury.  I iced in the med tent for a little while then drove home.

Had I actually been able to race this race, I don't think I would have placed higher than 3rd.


 I would have been fine to race through the 70k bike course if I didn't kill my foot in that first 10k run like I did. 
It would have been awesome to be in race condition without injury on this course that very much suits my strengths.

So, in doing this race I easily made matters worse.  This type of injury takes a solid 2 weeks to recover from, but could take a lot longer depending on the severity.  I'm now almost 2 weeks without running and still there is a lot of pain.  Perhaps I need to stop cycling? How impossible is that going to be!  I've tried running in the pool, but it really doesn't seem to be doing anything for me.  The plan is just to ice it , have it ultra sounded , keep it wrapped up until there is zero pain.  It's a terrible situation to be in.  I have no races on schedule until September 9th - Ironman 70.3 World Championships.  I think if I just focus on being ready for that race and not try to rush things everything will be fine.

No comments: