March 26, 2011

Race Updates/ Sponsor Updates/ Training Methologies

No, you're not crazy, I've reformated my blog page.  For the better I hope.

First, a bit of an update on a few things...

I raced my first Time Trial cycling event mid March in Suffolk, VA.  Since it was my first cycling event I had to register as a CAT IV cyclist.  It was also my first opportunity to really test out my new Planet X bike. The day was pretty windy, similar to what I trained in here at the beach, 15-20 mph winds.  The coarse was exactly what I train on too, flat.  I went into the race trying to be conservative the first 20K and save energy for the last 20K, as I really had no idea where my race endurance was and I wanted to finish strong.   Long story short I averaged about 25 mph the first 20K and 26 mph the last 20K. And won 2nd place.  I really didn't start pushing until the last 5K, when I was at my limit, which I found out I could have kept this pace up a lot longer. So maybe next time trial race I will be more confident in my endurance and just push my limit the entire race.  Also found out in need 21" tires on my bike as the 23" tires rub on the frame.  Yes, this absolutely affected my race. I was just a bit frustrated about that (to say the least).

Now that my injuries are healed up (for the most part) I've been able to drill the run again.  Hitting the track for leg burning feet burning runs and long trail runs and hill intervals on the tready, man it's good to be back running.  I'm now getting used to always having tired legs when training again. I'm really trying to stick to my new training schedule this year.  Something I never ever ever did in the past.

I just read a terrific post from Ironman World Champ Chris McCormick, http://www.chrismccormack.com/ about how he feels training should be done.  Basically he is promoting training by perceived effort rather than training by the numbers.  Training by the numbers meaning using power meters and GPS watches.  I absolutely agree with him about training by perceived effort.  After all that is how I train, most of the time. 
There are times during training when I need to make sure my "perceived effort" is on a certain target pace.  Such as, I will use my GPS watch to make sure I don't go too fast on a day where I am suppose to take it easy or going to slow when I need to be going faster.  But basically all my training is done by just listening to my body. 
I think people tend to lose touch of their surroundings if they are always looking down at a power meter on the bike or checking their GPS watch every minute of the run (something I am definitely guilty of doing in the past).  There is nothing wrong with using these items.  Most athletes that are coached will train this way because most coaches use numbers to train their athletes. Its easy to do. I've trained with these athletes before... everything is about time and speed and power numbers. 
I once told a group of pretty serious cyclists who had asked me how I trained on the bike and I told them that I would train by going almost as hard as I could for about 2 hours or until I didn't feel like I was going fast anymore.  They kinda looked at me like I was crazy. You see they train by intervals of power.  Keep up say 300 watts for 15 minutes then take a 6 minute spin break.  It gets so much more complicated than that though.  When doing these types of training sets you are so concentrated on the numbers you forget why you are outside cycling.  Not only do you miss out on listening to your body you miss out on the environment around you.  Once again there is nothing wrong with training that way if you all you want to get out of your training is hitting your numbers. It's not for me.  I know when I am not cycling as hard as I should, I don't need a power meter to tell me.

In sponsorship news I have teamed up with Team Aquaphor for 2011.  Aquaphor is dedicated to providing athletes the ability to train and compete while being free from uncomfortable chafing, blisters, and other skin conditions that often occur during strenuous exercise. Teaming up with Aquaphor will allow me to pursue the sport in other ways I haven't yet as well as represent their fantastic brand throughout the year.  I very much look forward to it.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

I like the new blog look bro. Good to hear you are healing up well and that the race went well. We'll have to plan a couple races to do together this year... or maybe not since we're in the same age bracket now haha