February 18, 2011

You turn a squirl loose, you catch it, you get a gold medal.

Finally I am back running. That said. My foot is still not better, but my knee is almost there... so yeah thats why I'm back running. If you are still catching up, I have a metatarsal stress fracture, and its taking forever to heal. Oh, and I had/have runners knee created from the stress fracture in my foot. And honestly I should be in a cast for the foot. But I'm not. I've been cycling and swimming like crazy over the last 2 months. And I've become an expert at elliptical training too. And I'm mastering yoga. Warrior poses are my favorite, stretching every part of my super tight hamstrings (from cycling). And hip strengthening activities have done wonders! I beleive it will absolutley make me faster in every discipline. (Secretes for triathlete I'm willing to reveal.)

I swear after 2 years of dedicated tri training I think I can finally understand my body. Yeah right, most would say. We never really understand our bodies, but nevertheless, I mean I've found some balance. My training this year is going to be more about rest and recovery than always pounding out the milage. That's why it's so important to pound out high milage in the winterspring to gear up for summer races.

Training this year is very very different from last year at this time. Although I was going through a long injury recovery and physical therapy last year for my hip, I was forced to train for a marathon within 4 weeks post recovery, this year I have no marathon races on my schedule. This year my injury is a little more sever too. I still feel the pressure of being run though.. just not the marathon training type pressure. Right now I am just barely recovering. I have to run pretty slow. I am mainly focused on just upping and upping the milage in my legs over time at a slow pace. Its not about speed. I wish I could speed train. I wish I could do those 20 miles endurance runs. But its not in the cards for me right now. The elliptical has been crucial in my winter training as it has allowed me to train at that anaerobic level without the impact.

I have to give big shouts to Karhu running shoes. I just received their newest Fulcrum Fast 2s and they have been perfect. Very light yet still provide that padding needed for pounding the pavement for hours. Who new a little country like Finland could make such amazing running shoes. Craft products hold their own in the Tri/Cycling community too.

I have an extended weekend ahead of me which will be filled with back to back long cycling sessions (post swim session and post yoga session) followed by a brick run set which will be built up each day, intesity staying the same (easy).

AAA swimming state champs are held at my training center this weekend so we are going to check that out. I want to see the 1600 meter race.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Nice post man. Good to hear about the training and your views on it. I could use to incorporate a lot of your advice.

How is the swimming going? I've been trying to do 1000 or 2000m after every workout but need to work on more structed workouts. Plus, join masters and get a coach.

Where is that swim championships being held that you are going to check out at your "training center"?

Need to catch up sometime soon bro.