September 30, 2011

ESi Augusta 70.3 Ironman Race Report

Before I get into the race report I must say I learned more about what I was made of during this race than any other.  Numerous things went wrong for me during the race and I persevered through all my troubles.  On a bad day I Finished 2nd in my category, which qualified me for Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Las Vegas :)

Race Report:
I left Virginia Beach on a rainy Saturday after getting in a short tempo bike and run early morning.  The drive was around 6.5 hours long.  I checked in at the race site and racked up my bike and I was off to the hotel for some din and sleep.  The race takes place in Augusta ,GA, but most of the bike route is in South Carolina.
I woke up around 5am and drove down to the race site.  I felt like my body was well rested, although my mind had been lacking sleep for a while now.  I ate a sweet potato and a bowl of oatmeal and sipped on a bottle of Gatorade race morning.  The weather was in the 80s and overcast then gave way to hot sunny skies during the run.
During my transition preparation I realize I forgot ALL of my nutritional items, except for a few powergels I had on my bike.  See I had to park in a lot then take a bus to the site (my nutrition was in the car, which I could not get to and be back at the race on time).  This is possibly the worst thing that I could have done.  I NEED my CarboPro-Electrolyte mixture in my bottles.  Especially on a hot, humid day.  For someone who keeps his cool in all situations I have to admit I was a bit panicked.  I ended up mixing my powergels in my water.. which left me with no more calories for the run.  By this time transition was mostly empty of people, but a guy next to me had about 2 scoops left of EFS powder, so I was able to put that in my bottles as well.  Not ideal, but I convinced myself it would do.  I put a smile on my face and made my way to the swim start.
The swim course is ideal for someone like me.  It takes place in a river in which we swim downstream.  Also, it is wetsuit legal.  So it is a fast swim.. for everyone.  So as I was making the mile walk to the swim start I hear the start gun go off for the professionals.  I figured I had some time and did not rush.  Next thing I know I hear red swim cap wave are starting the swim (I have a red swim cap)... I am about a 1/4 mile up the road chatting it up when I hear this.  I ended up talking with a race director who allowed me to start with another swim wave.. fwweeeeehhhh!  Typically Ironman officials are not so cooperative, so THANK YOU.  They would adjust my times based on when I actually started the swim, not when I was supposed to start the swim :).  As far as the swim went, it felt great especially since I had not swam much for the passed 2 weeks due to all the pools being closed in my area for maintenance.  I was attacked by plants and seaweed the entire time, however.  At one point I couldn't even see.  I exited the swim in a little over 24 minutes.  That is 5 minutes faster than normal, thanks to the current.

Transition was fairly long as we had to run up a hill and around to our bikes.  It was then my time to crush the bike course.  About a 1/2 mile into the ride however I hit a bump and then hear a clunk and clink.  My bottle and Rudy Project sunglasses fly off the back of my bike and go rolling down a small hill.  I couldn't stop and fetch these items.. I had a race to win!  So I just added it to another thing that has gone wrong for me.  I was left with 2 bottles with like 120 calories each.  Luckily electrolyte drinks and water would be handed out along the course.  I held a good 27-28 mph most of the ride.  I lost all my time on the rolling uphills.  I also lost time working out my leg cramps from the lack of nutrition. I NEED my CarboPro drink!  I was not prepared for the rolling hills, but I knew that going in.  I finished the course in 2:17.  I was in good position to finish at the very top if I can pull off a good run.

First thing that happened to me when I jumped off my bike, both quads cramped up so bad I could barely run into transition.  But I made it in and racked my bike and put on the running shoes and I was off.  My body felt okay for the first 1/4 mile then again my quads cramped up.  This time is was serious.  I could not bend my legs let alone walk so I had to collapse to the ground and wait for the cramps to subside. This took about 4 minutes.  The longest 4 minutes ever!  I did consider dropping out of the race.  It was just not my day and there was no way I could win now is what I was thinking.  I did only have a few hundred calories during the ride in which I should have taken in a little of 1000 calories. With supporting cheers from onlookers who had witnessed my troubles I got up and started my half marathon finally.  I suffered through the entire run. I was mentally holding on, one foot in front of the other.  I took in as much nutrition at the aide stations as I could, but once you have been racing hard as hell for 2.5 hours without the necessary nutrition its too late to make up for it on the run.  My quads would continue to cramp up here and there throughout the run and I would continue to push to the end.  Once I finally crossed the finish line I mentally let go and my quads seized up again so bad I could not walk. 

After about 10 minutes of icing in the med tent I was up and walking again.  I then ate some pizza drank some soda and had a nice long massage and took in the race atmosphere. 

I really did not care how I ranked at the end of the day, I was just happy to finish.  However, I finished ranked 39 of 3500 or so people and 2nd in my category.  The top 2 athletes in my category would qualify for 70.3 Worlds.  I was prepared to pay for my Las Vegas slot this time, although Ironman 70.3 Worlds are not until September 2012.  I guess have ample time to prepare at least.

It just goes to show you that you will never know what the outcome will be if you don't try.  I'm not the kind of person that quits, but still I never thought running 20 minutes slower than my capable half marathon time would put me in 2nd.  Also, never thought I had the mind over body capability I showed in this race.  My quads were toast that entire half marathon! Painful? YES! No pain to gain though.  I gained a lot from the race.  I certainly got the physical and mental challenge I crave for this time.

The Augusta community was fantastic.  Everyone was cheerful and happy to have this Ironman race going on.  All the volunteers were friendly, supportive and willing to help.  It's only a piece of the Ironman event, but it is those little things make an athlete want to come back next year.
As far as racing for the rest of the year goes, I am not sure what to schedule next.  I would like to do another 70.3 Ironman race so I can do my nutrition right this time and see what kind of finish I'm capable of.

No comments: