October 25, 2011

Scrambling for a Race

I don't like to let a whole month go by without updating.. but unfortunately there isn't much to report on the racing front.  Basically I've been back to the schedule of working, training, and studying, and when I'm not doing those I'm sleeping.


Since the Augusta 70.3 Ironman, a full month ago now, I'm back training hard, the training has been unfocused however.  I've just gone out and hammered the bike a lot.  Maintaining swim fitness and doing body weight 'strengthening' workouts.  Running has been fairly limited the passed couple weeks due to my runners knee injury in the right leg.  And now it seems I have a potential Achilles injury in my left ankle.  It's kinda funny how injuries come along like clockwork at the end of the year for me.  The passed 2 years I had some pretty major injuries (needing 6-8 weeks recovery) at the end of the year.  I am extremely determined to be injury free year round for now on.  Runners knee is a pretty minor injury and I will need to play it very careful with the Achilles during my training.  More often than not, training has been going really well though.  My speed and endurance is at a very high level right now.  Those two things always seem to improve and peak as the temperatures drop from the 90s in the summer to the 70s in the fall.


So what am I to do with all this peak fitness at the end of the racing season you ask.. find another race of course.   Finally after searching and searching around for triathlons in the region I finally found a Half Ironman in Washington, NC.  It looks to be a very low key event with maybe 200 competitors and I was able to sign up a week in advance.  The race is this Saturday October 29th.  I am not tapered for it, but I will just need to recover well all week with my 2XU compression and Trigger Point Therapy tools. The course appears to be flat and fast! so I have high hopes for myself.


I'll admit I was not happy with the way the Augusta half ironman race went, so I am very happy to have found a last minute ironman race to let out some frustration!  Lets hope I remember my race day nutrition this time. 


This will be the first time I get to test out my new Synergy Adrenaline wetsuit in a race.  I am contemplating on using my new Newton shoes for the race too, but that will be a last minute decision.  I have a feeling my K-Swiss Ruuz racing flats are on there last days after a full season of racing.


And for those that are wondering I am applying to the following graduate schools this winter: Colorado, Oregon State, Virginia Commonwealth, Oregon, and the Evergreen College. 


Look for an update within a week!!

No comments: